If you ask anyone to name a shipping company, they’ll more than likely mention FedEx. There’s a good reason for that. FedEx Express’ vehicle fleet rose to over 87,000 in the fiscal year of 2021. In the 2022 fiscal year, the company’s vehicle fleet amounted to more than 86,000 units. That’s a lot of trucks!
FedEx Corporation is a globally recognized courier delivery services company renowned for its comprehensive shipping and logistics solutions. With a wide-ranging network that spans across countries, FedEx offers an array of services, including express shipping, ground delivery, international shipping, freight services, and specialized solutions for industries such as healthcare and e-commerce. Recognized for its iconic purple and orange branding, FedEx employs advanced technology, precise tracking, and efficient operations to ensure reliable and timely deliveries.
How Many FedEx Truck Accidents Are There?
According to recent data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there are quite a few FedEx truck accidents. In fact, there were 2,766 accidents involving FedEx trucks in the two years between November 2020 and October 2022. Of these 2,00+ crashes, 71 involved a fatality and another 893 caused serious injuries. These numbers represent lives lost, lives shattered, untold medical bills, catastrophic property damage, and emotional distress.
- A FedEx truck hit a concrete barrier on I-35E in Lewisville, TX in December of 2021. It caught fire after flipping on its side.
- In October 2015, a FedEx truck crashed and dumped hundreds of packages into the water in Orlando, FL.
- In February of 2022, a driver of a FedEx truck lost control of the vehicle after traveling over slick ice and crashed into another accident at a high speed on the I-35W in Fort Worth, TX. Dozens of other drivers were hurt in the pileup and six people were killed.
- In December 2011, a FedEx truck driver on 1-95 near Orlando drove up the ramp of a tractor trailer and caused serious injuries and property damage.
- In September of 2022, a FedEx truck and school bus collided on 183A in Leander, TX. The bus driver, bus monitor, and a student received treatment in the hospital.
- A FedEx truck crashed into the side of a West Palm Beach, FL home on a Friday evening in September 2020.
- A FedEx truck rolled over on the I-25 in Buda, TX in November of 2022. This caused injuries and backed-up traffic that lasted for hours.
How Big Is FedEx?
FedEx has an estimated annual revenue of $84 billion and they continue to try to maximize those profits. If you think this company is so big and makes so much money that they would have no trouble compensating people who are in accidents with their trucks, you would unfortunately be wrong.
What Should Someone Do After Being in a Crash With a FedEx Truck?
If you’re involved in a crash with a FedEx truck, it’s important to take specific steps to ensure your safety, gather information, and handle the situation properly. Here’s what you should do:
Ensure Safety: Check yourself and others for injuries. If there are injuries, call 911 for medical assistance immediately. If it’s safe to do so, move your vehicle to the side of the road or a safe location to prevent further accidents.
Call Law Enforcement: Regardless of the extent of the damage, call the police to report the accident. An official accident report can be valuable for insurance claims and legal purposes.
Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance details with the FedEx truck driver. Collect names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, and vehicle details.
Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, road conditions, and any relevant details. These photos can serve as evidence for insurance claims and legal matters.
Get Witness Information: If there are witnesses, gather their contact information. Their statements can provide additional perspective on what happened.
Report to FedEx: If the FedEx driver is cooperative and provides contact information, inform them about the accident and exchange relevant details.
Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don’t immediately feel injured, it’s wise to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not become apparent until later.
Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance company about the accident and provide accurate information about the incident.
Consult With a FedEx Accident Attorney
It is likely that the accident has resulted in significant injuries. There may also be disputes about liability, or challenges with insurance claims. It is highly advisable that you consider consulting a personal injury attorney for legal guidance.
Remember, each situation is unique. The steps you take after a crash with a FedEx truck can have legal and financial implications. Stay calm, gather information, prioritize safety, and ensure you follow the necessary procedures to handle the aftermath of the accident properly. Then, contact a truck accident attorney who will help you with your case.